Solutions to the Air Pollution Problem in America Essay
4140 Words17 Pages
Solutions to the Air Pollution Problem in America
It is steadily becoming harder to breathe these days. Every major city in the world is experiencing the ill effects of air pollution. The level of toxic air pollutants, known as toxics, has been on the rise globally, though not nationally, since the Clean Air Act of 1990, according to Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards [OAQPS], an office within the Environmental Protection Agency [EPA]. However, though more regions -- i.e., cities, metropolitan areas, rural areas, etc. -- are meeting the Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, certain areas were and still are designated as "nonattainment" areas. These areas are regions which do not meet all the National…show more content…
Phoenix still is not one of those areas. Since the establishment of the Clean Air Act, Phoenix has had problems with particulates and has not had much success reaching national standards (USEPA--National Air 3). The problem continues to worsen because as the Phoenix population continues to grow, air pollution levels due to human activities increases (Maricopa County 3).
The causes of air pollution are overpopulation, human activities such as the build up of industry and vehicle emissions; specifically diesel particulate emissions all of which produce harmful breathable particulates. These pollutants seriously affect human health. We do not just experience ill health affects from this pollution but we are dying from it as well. What we need to do is take steps to reduce the rate of increase of these pollutants in our air. If one does not have the energy or inclination to "fight city hall", then at least one should do all they can from day to day to reduce their polluting habits such as following no burn day rules and try to use public transportation more. On a commercial level, companies should support new technology which makes vehicular emissions cleaner while at the government level, commercial fleet owners should be rewarded for owning new vehicles with clean emissions and people
The environment is the sum total of physical and biotic conditions influencing the responses of the organisms.(Kendeigh,1974).
Environmental pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that causes adverse change. such as, noise ,heat or light.
A formal definition of environmental pollution can be said as unfavourable modification of the environment by human activity.
Air pollution is a part of environmental pollution.
Air pollution is the contamination of the air by noxious gases and minute particles of solid and liquid matter(particulates) in concentration that endangered for health. Which causes diseases, death of human, damage to other living organisms or the natural or built environment
In order to understand the causes of air pollution ,several division can be made.
it can be caused by primary sources. the pollutants that are a direct result of the process can be called primary pollutants. a classic example of a primary pollutant would be the sulfur dioxide emitted from factories.
secondary pollutants are the ones that are caused by the inter mingling and reactions of primary pollutants. Smog created by the interactions of several primary pollutants is known to be as secondary pollutants.
The major air pollutants are
- OUTDOOR POLLUTANTS
- Carbon monoxide
- Carbon dioxide
- Sulfur dioxide
- Nitrogen dioxide
- Particulate matter
- Ground level ozone.
There are many sources in indoor air pollution.
- Tobacco smoke
- Heating appliances
- Vapors from building materials,paints,furniture.
- Other materials within the home that emit unhealthy chemicals.
CAUSES OF AIR POLLUTION
- BURNING OF FOSSIL FUELS:sulfur dioxide emitted from the combustion of fossil fuels like coal, petroleum and other factory combustibles is one of the major cause of air pollution. Pollution emitting from vehicles including cause immense amount of pollution.
- AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES: ammonia is a very common by product from agriculture related activities and is one of most hazardous gases in the atmosphere. use insecticides ,pesticides and fertilizers in agriculture actives has grown quite a lot.
- EXHAUST FROM FACTORIES ANDINDUSTRIES: manufacturing industries release large amount of carbon monoxide,hydrocarbons,organic compounds and chemicals into the air thereby depleting the quality of air.
- MINING OPERATIONS:mining is a process where in minerals below the earth are extracted using large equipment. during the process dust and chemicals are released in the air causing massive air pollution
- INDOOR AIR POLLUTION: house hold cleaning products ,painting supplies toxic chemicals in the air and causes air pollution.
- SUSPENDED PARTICULATE MATTER:Suspended particulate matter known as SPM,is another cause of pollution. Referring to the particles a float in the air,SPM is usually caused by dust combustion etc.
EFFECTS OF AIR POLLUTION
There are some effects of air pollution . which are pointed as bellow.
- HEALTH PROBLEM: air pollution can cause health problems including burning eyes and nose, breathing problems. some chemicals found in polluted air can causes cancer, birth defects,brain,nerve damage and long term injury to the lungs and breathing passages in certain circumstance.
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEM: air pollution can also damage the environment and property.trees,lakes and animals have been harmed by air pollution.It damage buildings, monuments and other structure.
- GLOBAL WARMING: global warming-now global warming is a burning problem in the environment. it increased concentration of carbon dioxide and other green house gases in the atmosphere lead to rise in earth’s average temperature.
- DEPLETION OF OZONE LAYER: ozone exist on earth’s stratosphere and is responsible for protecting humans from harmful ultraviolet (uv) rays.earthe’s ozone layer is depleting due to the presence of chlorofluorocarbons,hydro-chlorofluorocarbons in the As ozone layer will go thin, it will emit harmful rays back on earth and can cause skin and eye related problem. uv rays also have the capability to affect crops.
- ACID RAIN: acid rain comes mainly from sulfur dioxide emitted from power plants and from nitrogen oxides DISCHARGES FROM POWER plant and automobiles. these acids are often carried far before falling as a rain or snow. Acid corrode metals and even erode stone buildings and statues.
- EUTROFICATION: it is a condition where high amount of nitrogen present in some pollutants get developed in sea’s surface and turns itself into algae and adversely affect on fish, plants and other animal
SOLUTIONS FOR AIR POLLUTION
- Improve energy efficiency to reduce fossil fuel use .
- Use low polluting natural gas.
- Reduce landfills.
- Rely more on renewable energy (especially, solar cells, wind and solar produced hydrogen)
- Transfer energy efficiency ,renewable energy and pollution prevention technologies toPollution Freedeveloping countries.
- Distribute efficient Cooke stoves or solar cooker to poor families in developing countries
- Reduce or ban indoor smoking.
- Develop simple and cheap tests for indoor pollutants such as,particulates,radon,formaldehyde
This is the general idea of air pollution.
Thank you for reading.
Tagged on: air pollutants, air pollution, air pollution causes, air pollution effects, causes of air pollution, effects of air pollution, environmental pollution