More than 80% of students share they understand the topic better with the help of examples. Teachers who realize the power of visualization in learning try to involve images/videos in their lessons to explain the material in-depth. They may assign an illustration essay to teach this trick to their students. What is an illustration essay? The article you are reading contains valuable information on how to write the academic paper of this type, which topics to cover, and what the purpose of such writing is.
SOLVE MY PROBLEM WITH HOMEWORK
If you still find it difficult to work on the illustrative essay or another type of homework assignment, it is better to contact professional essay writers ASAP.
What Is an Illustration Essay?
Another way to call illustration essay is an example paper because it provides vivid examples on the given topic to make it clear. It is an easy and straightforward form of writing. In fact, any type of essay or research paper requires examples to illustrate & support the essay main point, which is an argument.
Example: Write about gender stereotypes. Support your point of view that female employees are paid less and often discriminated at the workplace by drawing particular examples from other sources or personal experience. You may describe the way your sister is treated at the factory where she is currently working with male employees.
Cause-&-effect and compare-&-contrast essays need examples. We can conclude that an illustrative essay is the part of an academic paper. The main difference between an illustration essay and argumentative or persuasive essay (the most popular homework assignment) is the fact student does not have to prove anything in the first case. Include only corresponding examples.
Read about these and other typical mistakes college students tend to make while writing the academic papers of different types and topics.
How to Write an Illustration Essay
How to write an illustration essay to make the target reading audience understand your topic despite their experience in the chosen field? Good essay writing always begins with the process of planning. Dedicate some time to writing a detailed essay outline to support the entire process. Once you are done with your research on the topic of your interest, develop a step-by-step instruction on a separate paper. Teachers offer an outline as an extra option. We recommend writing an essay outline even when your requirements do not tell to do it. There are several steps every writer must take:
- Develop final draft
- Proofread & edit
Read the suggested set of rules to get an overall understanding of how to plan and write a powerful, interesting illustration essay. So, what is an illustration essay?
You need a good topic
Brainstorming helps to come up with the best topic ideas; make a list of the points you would like to discuss in your illustrative essay. Don’t try to choose a debatable topic like gun control. Think about how to interpret your topic with the help of related images and describe the examples using various details. That is all a paper of this type should include.
Make & Use a List of Examples
A writer needs to make a list of topic-related examples to support the thesis statement and every paragraph’s argument effectively.
Example: You need to write about the young professionals. A reader might be interested in discovering what factors irritate people who obtain the first full-time job in their lives. What does illustrate mean in an essay on this topic? Use the following examples to explain what overwhelms & annoys young workers:
- A large volume of a workload at the early stages.
- Lack of professional support from the senior managers.
- Learning how to accomplish specific assignments (typing texts on specific equipment, using special technological advancements, reporting to seniors, organizing work schedule, etc.)
- Trying to find a balance between work, education, and family responsibilities.
DO MY HOMEWORK TASK
Every writer needs to conduct research before writing an informative paper on the chosen topic. Even if you are an expert in the field of your interest, do not mind researching with the help of print material or modern channels like search engines. It is not hard to research in Google. Modern technologies allow researching without spending much time on it.
You need to support every argument in your illustration essay to make the reader believe you are competent in the field of your study. Each time you use good ideas found in the sources written by other people, reference them properly. Are you acquainted with MLA, APA, and other paper formats? If you need help with this issue, use professional essay writing service to hire a good expert in college homework.
Once you decide on the topic and paper format, you need to make an outline. An outline is similar to the table of contents: it contains a title of each section (intro, body, and conclusion) along with a short sentence describing each section.
9 Good Topics for Your Outstanding Illustration Essay
Would you like to have a list of good illustration essay topics to save time on research?
What is an illustration essay? Students who have unanswered questions after reading a brief guide from academic writers should turn to the professional academic services. Here, it is possible to order custom illustration essay or another homework solution within the set period of time!
Do Research and Write an Outline
- The police utilize racial profiling against minorities to target them for random searches or treat them as suspects in different types of crimes.
- Climate is changing over the globe.
- Mega-retailers leave no place for the small businesses.
- Companies involved in IT industry tend to discriminate against female employees by promoting them to seniors less often than male employees, offering lower wages to them, and ignoring their mother rights.
- Candidates who win president elections are the wealthiest.
- The portrayal of violence in numerous video games, applications, television shows, and modern movies makes youth get involved in different types of criminal activity.
- The right to possess concealed weapons has prevented many tragedies.
- Why is it good to be the ruler of a country?
- Advanced nations do not allow families of more than three members to guarantee the decreasing rates of population growth and rise in the economy.
How to Write an Illustration Essay
An illustrative essay is probably one of the easiest types of essays to write; and once you have mastered this type of writing, just about all other types of essays will become easier as well. That's because no matter what type of writing you're doing, if you're trying to make a point, illustrations make it much easier to accomplish your goal.
Definition of an illustration essay
The first step in mastering the writing of an illustration essay is to understand exactly how this type of essay is most effectively used. Simply put, an illustration essay uses a variety of examples to support or prove your thesis. For example, if your thesis statement is:
“The winter months cause most residents to hibernate.”
Your essay would contain descriptions of several facts that support this thesis, such as:
- The roads are nearly empty with just 2 or 3 cars passing every hour compared to 100s of cars during the warmer months of the year.
- The social activities in town are poorly attended when the weather is foul.
The illustrative essay is nothing more than providing facts that back up your thesis. However, it's a descriptive and even colorful style of writing that makes the essay interesting to read.
Creating a paper that's interesting to read
Obviously, a statement of facts such as those above is a boring way to prove a point. You'll better engage your reader by taking the concept of illustration to heart. When you think of an illustration an image comes to mind that is drawn to help the viewer understand something. A word illustration is much the same. The writer uses words to paint a picture for the reader so that the reader can visualize what the author is trying to say.
While an illustration essay is among the easiest to tackle, beware of it being too easy. It does require some thought to make it work. A few things to keep in mind while coming up with examples to prove your thesis include:
- Make sure your example makes a clear point. A long narrative about your personal feelings about winter may seem relevant to the topic, but it doesn't prove that most people hibernate.
- Before crafting your essay, spend some time brainstorming some good examples and then pick your top three - four examples. Once you have your strongest points, spend the time to carefully “illustrate” each example so that it's crystal clear to the reader that this helps prove your main point.
- Make sure that your thesis statement for this type of essay is not about arguing a position; rather it's about a phenomenon that exists.
- Transitioning between your examples takes some practice so that the essay doesn't read like a list of examples, because you start each new point with the phrase, “for example?‚?¦” Instead, find other words that help transition from point to point.
The two examples listed for the winter weather thesis above could be tied together by correlating the lack of participation in social events to the lack of travel. These are like cause and effect example:
“?‚?¦the lack of participation in social events is further illustrated by the lack of traffic on the roads. People just don't like to drive in bad weather, which is why there are so few cars on the road in winter as compared to summer. ?‚?¦”
Structuring and writing the essay
As with all essays, the format of an illustrative includes an introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction states your thesis, the body provides examples of why the thesis is true, and the conclusion restates the thesis and draws a conclusion to the paper. With the winter weather example we've been using here, a conclusion might be that the winter months are not good for planning a major event that you want a lot of people to attend.